Formed in 1903 by the merger of Laird Brothers of Birkenhead and Johnson Cammell & Co of Sheffield. Nationalised as part of British Shipbuilders in 1977 and re-privatised in 1986 as part of Vickers Shipbuilding & Engineering. The company was closed in 1993 following a lack of work, but the yard was subsequently reopened as a ship repairer under the Cammell Laird name. This company entered receivership in 2001 and the yard was subsequently acquired by the A&P Shiprepair Group. Sold to Northwestern Shiprepairers and Shipbuilders in 2005, the yard was renamed Cammell Laird Shiprepairers & Shipbuilders in 2008.